Jay Bilas, ESPN Analyst and former Duke Blue Devil, says flat out pay college athletes. I’m not sure I’m ready to go that far, but here are 5 things I would do:
1. Pay athletes a percentage of jersey and t shirt sales, not individually, but across the board.
2. Allow athletes to profit from their own likeness individually, i. e. endorsements, autographs, appearances…etc.
3. Waive the ridiculous rule forcing athletes who transfer to sit out a year. Coaches do it regularly without consequence.
4. Pay lifetime medical expenses for athletes when their injuries occurred while participating in sport during their college career.
5. Allow athletes to retain eligibility should they enter the draft and are either unhappy with their draft position or fail to get drafted.
That’s my take. Below is a link to a Jay Bilas article with his take.